Sunday, April 5, 2020

Prayer of Spiritual Communion

“At Thy feet, O my Jesus, I prostrate myself and I offer Thee repentance of my contrite heart, which is humbled in its nothingness and in Thy holy presence. I adore Thee in the Sacrament of Thy love, the ineffable Eucharist. I desire to receive Thee into the poor dwelling that my heart offers Thee. While waiting for the happiness of Sacramental Communion, I wish to possess Thee in spirit. Come to me, O my Jesus, since I, for my part, am coming to Thee! May Thy love embrace my whole being in life and in death. I believe in Thee. I hope in Thee. I love Thee. Amen.” 

Pope Francis prayed at the beginning of Mass for families who cannot leave their homes due to quarantine. Pope Francis said, 

“Let us pray to the Lord, let us return to Him. The Lord teaches us how to pray… how we must approach the Lord: with humility. When we begin praying with our own justifications, with our securities, that’s not prayer. That is like speaking to a mirror. Instead when we begin praying with our true reality – I’m a sinner – this is a good step forward in allowing the Lord to look at us. May Jesus teach us this. Perhaps the farthest they can go is their balcony. May they know how to find a way of communicating well, of building loving relationships within the family. And that they might know how to conquer the anguish of this moment together as a family. We pray for peace in families today during this crisis, and for creativity.”